Similar to how you do not want any stains on your clothes and sheets, you also may not want any stains or unpleasant odor in your pots or dishes. This is the reason why investing in a good dishwashing detergent is highly essential. A good dishwashing detergent will not only wipe off the stains, leaving your dishes spotless, but also make them smell nice.
You may also not want any kind of bacteria lingering around in your dishes, especially because of food residue, hence a good dishwashing detergent will eliminate risks of that as well, enabling you to lead a healthier life.
What’s the difference between dish soap and a dishwashing detergent?
The difference between a dish soap and a detergent is that a dish soap is made up of natural ingredients like plant oils or acids, while a detergent is made up of man made derivatives. Also, soaps are limited in their scope and applications, as compared to detergents.
What is the Chemical Formula of dishwashing detergents?
Generally, dishwashing detergents are made up of several chemicals and surfactants which have amazing effects owing to the amphipathic structure. Consequently, this means that one side of the compound is hydrophobic that will stray away from water, while the other side is hydrophilic, that seamlessly gets attached to water. Nonetheless, the chemical formula behind all the successful dishwashing detergents includes C18 H29 NaO3S.
What’s the manual method of dishwashing?
You may feel like rinsing and wiping are the only aspects of dishwashing. However, you stand uncorrected as the first step is to dilute dish detergent into a pan filled with water or squirting it onto the dirty dish or a sponge. Thereon, you can scrub off the dishes using the sponge. Typically, you are required to:
- Prep – remove big food particles from the dishes
- Fill – get soapy water (add drops of detergent into water)
- Wash – scrub them under the water for a while
- Rinse – gently wash off the residue from the dishes
- Dry – pat dry the dishes using a damp cloth to leave them spotless
Features to Look Out For Before Buying A Dishwashing Detergent
Here are some of the factors to keep in your consideration if you plan to buy a good dishwashing detergent.
- Long-lasting foam and strong cleaning characteristics
The higher the durability and lasting of the foam, the more it is going to be productive for you, as you’ll be able to pull out the germs in the first wash only. It should also contain important ingredients to wipe off the germs with ease.
- Hand-sustainable ingredients
Though the ingredients are important in cleaning the dishes and leaving them spotless, it is important to note that some ingredients may harm your skin or make them excessively dry. Hence, choose a detergent that has hand sustainable ingredients.
- Pleasant smell and appearance
Your dishes should smell nice, instead of exuding bad odor of the food residue, hence it is important to buy a dishwashing detergent that smells nice, has lemon extracts or has any pleasant fragrance.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you follow a link to purchase the products, I sometime earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Without further ado, let’s head onto the list.
Our Recommended Compact Dishwashing Detergent
1. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent SG-007B
Ranking at the very top, this excellent dishwashing detergent comes with EPA certification and offers a powerful clean. It has lemon extracts which will leave your dishes spotless and they will smell nice as well. Besides that, it is available in gel form which ensures that no food residue gets stuck on the dishes.
- Comes in an ergonomic container with a manageable handle to power the gel easily
- EPA certified – hygienic and safe to use
- Comes with lemon scent to leave your dishes spotless and smelling amazing
- Will last a long time, as only a small amount will be sufficient to clean many dishes
2. Adustman Eco Friendly Dishwasher Detergent
Featuring an eco friendly dishwashing detergent that is hypoallergenic and biodegradable with no preservatives or phosphate. It does not even contain bleach or brightener which makes it ideal for those concerned about their dishes and safety of their hands. It is easy to use and dissolves quickly, leaving no residue.
- Super safe – eco friendly, hypoallergenic, biodegradable, with no bleach or phosphate
- Easy to use – simply add a sheet, shut the door and press the switch
- It will dissolve easily and quickly
- Comes at an economical prices, gives you a powerful clean and comes with 60 sheets
3. Palmolive Eco Lemon Scent 47805
Featuring another great dishwashing detergent that is not only Eco friendly, phosphate free and friendly to lakes and streams, but also leaves your dishes spotless in a sustainable way. It comes with spot fighting action to rinse away the residue and it is super easy to use with a built in handle.
- Comes with eco friendly formula that is phosphate free
- Has powerful cleaning powers to leave your dishes spotless
- Comes with a lemon scent to reward your senses and to leave a pleasant fragrance
- Easy to use with an ergonomic handle to pour the detergent without creating a mess
4. Clorox Triple Action 2942500018-AM1
Presenting you yet another powerful dishwashing detergent that’s sure to blow your mind. If you’re a neat freak, this one is for you. It comes with triple action that scrubs, degreases and shines your dishes, leaving a fresh scent as well. There’s no pre wash needed which saves time and water. It is chlorine, phosphate and bleach free too!
- Comes with a powerful formula for all the neat freaks out there with triple action
- It can remove stuck on and dried on food stains even after 48 hours
- It ensures sparkling streak free shine and is easy on the glassware
- There’s no need to pre wash when you’re suing this amazing detergent
- It is bleach, phosphate and chlorine free which makes it safe
5. Cascade Platinum Plus ActionPacs
If a detergent still hasn’t met your requirements, then this one will surely do the job! This powerful dishwashing detergent comes with robust fighting and scrubbing power against dried on food which can leave your dishes spotless. It can remove the toughest stains with the cascade dishwasher pods. Moreover, it saves water and prevents hard water filming too.
- Comes with advanced technology that removes the toughest of the stains in one go
- Comes with cascade dishwasher pods to work against toughest stains
- It saves water as there’s no prewash required
- A reputable brand that you can trust in terms of reliability
- Prevents hard water filming to keep your machine fresh and clean
6. Grab Green 854822003196
Here’s another great option to try in terms of dishwashing detergents. It comes with natural fragrance and velcro closure bags that are convenient and easy to use with no hassle of zip closures. It has no added chemicals. Besides that, it’s not just safe for your family, but it’s also safe for the environment.
- Comes with a natural fragrance and velcro closure bags
- No added harsh chemicals – safe to use
- Special formula to wipe off the toughest stains
- It is hypoallergenic and is ideal for people with fragrance sensitivities
- It is eco friendly – never been tested on animals
7. Amazon Basics Dishwasher Detergent 195515020350
Another option that you shouldn’t ignore in terms of dishwashing detergents, would be this one. This detergent comes with 85 pacs and removes stuck on and dried on food easily. It leaves a fresh scent on the dishes and comes with a two in one, grease fighting and rinse aid formula.
- Comes with powerful formula to wipe off the stuck on food stains, leaving your dishes shiny
- Comes with 85 pacs which are sufficient to last a long time
- Comes with a fresh scent and has a two in one formula that fights greases and has rinse aid too
8. Finish – All in 1 – Dishwasher Detergent Finish1231
Featuring a deep cleaning formula to leave your dishes shiny and spotless, this dishwashing detergent Comes with individually wrapped finish Powerball tab that offers a premeasured dose of detergent that removes the guesswork and dissolves quickly too. The rinse agent action removes the residues completely as well.
- Can remove the toughest stains through the rinse agent action
- Comes with Powerball tab that removes the pre rinse work and scrubs away the stains
- Is made by a reputable brand that is known worldwide for its amazing quality
9. Biokleen Automatic Dishwashing 00053
A great dishwashing detergent that’s surely a keeper would be this one. It not only comes in an ergonomic container, but it is phosphate and chlorine free with non toxic materials, so it is deemed as safe for use. It has citrus essence for a pleasant smell from your dishes and it can completely wipe off those tough stains too.
- Eco friendly with no phosphate or chlorine content
- It has no artificial fragrance, instead, it has citrus essence that will leave your dishes with a pleasant odor
- Comes with an ergonomic design and easy to hold handle to pour the gel with convenience
10. Defunkify Automatic Dishwasher Detergent
Last, but not the least, this dishwashing detergent comes with EWG verification and EPA approved ingredients which makes it safe and hygienic to use. Not just that, but it is unscented and free from dyes and fillers. It comes in a suitable packaging and you don’t even have to clean anything afterwards.
- EWG verified and EPA approved ingredients that makes it safe to use
- Comes with unscented formula that is free from harmful toxins, dyes or fillers
- Comes with a high performance formula that can work against the toughest stains
- Comes in a sustainable packaging too
Although all the above picks are excellent when it comes to delivering excellence in terms of dishwashing, you might want to keep an eye out for the fragrance if you are allergic to scents, the quantity if you require more or less of it and the cleaning power. Apart from that, the brand reputation counts a lot too. You can tell that a brand’s products will be reliable on the basis of their established image and positive customer reviews.
Nonetheless, sometimes, even an overshadowed brand’s dishwashing detergent can do wonders for your dishes, as compared to a well reputable one. Hence, we think it’s all about trying and testing the products before you actually use them. Since all of them are quite economical, it’s good to give each one a shot before you decide which one works best for you.